On the 108th episode of LOST we were treated to an always frustrating Jack Shepherd centered episode. Man if this guy was ever supposed to embody the 'heroic' persona of this tale than he's the most annoying hero I've seen since the 'Subway' tuna sub I had last summer that left me with the shits for the weekend.
in dramatic times like these. He surely would have drank some of that 'McCutcheon' Mrs. Shepherd had on the liquor counter. (Notice the bottle?)
There was a funeral held for Christian-X in this universe. The funeral at which, according to Mrs. Shepherd, David was having a rough time at. Did Mrs. Littleton-X attend, though? No way to tell, yet, whether or not Jack-X had any knowledge of his half sister Claire-X before Margot-X finally found the will and inquired 'Did your father ever mention a 'Claire Littleton' to you?' ...Doh! Looks like some one's splitting their inheritance! David has snuck out while his his father was busy being an absentee dad, So Jack-X stops by the boy's mom's house to see if he went there while she was away. Who's the mom? Who's the MomMMmm!?
***Note the spare house key in the rabbit near the doormat. All this 'rabbit', 'Alice in Wonderland' 'Looking Glass' stuff always tends to pop-up in Jack centered episodes. (Side thought: The 'Looking Glass' Dharma complex was in a Jack centered episode with a rabbit as it's center emblem. Is it possible that each Dharma complex somehow corresponds to each of the 7 main 815ers that we now know are 'candidates'. I'd love to see that tied together somehow. Let's get back to some Dharma soon!)
A quick B&E into his ex's home and Jack-X finds out that his son has ducked out on Dad day for a youth piano competition in which he has been entered. David's a young piano virtuoso (to my standards) and has
neglected to tell his pop in fear of failing in front of him had he attended. Shades of the old Shepherd pep talk 'Maybe you don't have what it takes, son'. Christian's old line for him every time Jack tried to excel at something. Did you kids notice the sign outside the music hall 'Youth Conservatory...all CANDIDATES welcome' (a nod at Jack, one would think.)
Jack-X is proud of his son and so is another parent....the Other temple leader 'Dogen' or in this case 'Dogen-X' who apparently has a son of his own entered into the competition. This story builds up to a tearful moment in which Jack-X verbalizes to young David how proud he is and will always be of his son. Something Christian always fell short of with HIS boy. All-in-all, yet another happy 'Flash Sideways'. All is wine and roses in Universe-X it seems.
Back on the island in Universe 1.0, Jin is caught in Claire's (polar bear trap, his leg a bloody ham. Is it just me or do you kids also notice how graphic Lost is for a prime time network show? Behandings, bloody ham legs, people being mowed down in traffic. Is any other show on TV allowed to get away with this kinda stuff? Gruesome! Claire's as creepy as we imagined. That has come with 3 years of solitude and random torturing....um....err....'infection testing'. Now, not only is she going to sew Jin up and nurse him back to health but she's also nursing a make shift bay-bee in a bassinet complete with dead animal skull head, button eyes and doll body. Creeptastic!
Claire's been wiggin' out on her own the past 3 years with a little help from a 'friend' and her dad, one Christian Shepherd....DE-ceased! Claire interrogates her Other captive, Justin, wanting to know where her bay-bee is. 'Kate TOOK him!', Jin announces, in a bid to save this Other who's about to get the business end of Claire's tree choppin' axe. 'TOOK' Jin? 'TOOK' ...really? Really? I'm gonna blame Jin's dense knowledge of the Engrish language here, because surely there would have been a less harsh word to describe the whereabouts of a deranged, 'infected' crazy lady's only reason to stay alive on this bloody island. Too bad the revelation didn't help Other Justin, though. Justin...meet the business end.....Business end, this is Justin. Goodbye.
Jin recants his outburst with a lie: 'Kate didn't take Aaron' he exclaims. Jin saw Aaron himself back at the temple. This IS a lie, yes? What's Jin's angle here? Is he just hoping to get that bloody stump of his into the temple healing pool? Does he want to get Claire into a position in which she's outnumbered by friends? Speaking of 'friends' Did I mention who Claire's only friend of 3 years is? Ummmm THE SMOKE MONSTER! I would venture to guess that Smoke Monster has been manipulating Claire all this time in his Dr. Shepherd suit as well. Add crazy Claire to team Smoke Monster with Sawyer if you will...either way I guess we're seeing how Smokey might finally get on the temple grounds in the next coming weeks. With the help of his friend Claire and Gimpy Jin's secret entrance knowledge.
On a side note... How great is this 'Old Spice' commercial. "Look at your man. Now back to me. Now back at your man....now back to me! He isn't me"......"Look down. Now look up. Now look down! Where are you? You're on a boat!". I love this guy. This has become an integral part of LOST viewing for me. And you say you like to watch LOST on DVD without commercials? You're missing some good stuff, mister! Look, where am I ? I'm on a horse...
Sorry, back to the temple..... Hurley sees Jacob screwing around with the pool of life. Did he do anything to it. Looks like he's stirring around in it with a stick. Is he just pondering it's merkyness? Testing it's PH balance. I hate when the Smoke Monster pees in the community pool! Jacob's got a mission for the present head of the 815ers. Hurley, jot this shit down on your that side of beef you call a forearm. First you'll need to shut Dogen down by having him mind his own business because YOU'rrrrre a 'candidate' and YOoooooou can do as you please. Next locate the secret side entrance/exit. Than convince Jack to tag along by telling him Jacob says you have 'what it takes' (gulp, that hits home).
Done, done....aaAAAaaand Done!
Jack is reminding me a lot of Locke from season one. Sitting in solitude. Pondering. Eating island fruit. If he can just stay THIS way through just one whole episode. Just one hour long show! Jack and Hurley are off and first encounter Kate. (who'll you'll remember wasn't listed on the portions we saw of the cave ceiling as a
numbered candidate last week) Kate, who's flying solo in search of Claire. They catch each other up on....well...absolutely NOTHING they've learned while apart as per usual and go about their merry way.
Next stop. Adam and Eve cave, site of 815er camp #2 from season 1. Outside they find what Hurley suggests is Shannon's inhaler. (Foreshadowing of another former cast member's future appearance?)
Once inside the cave Hurley ponders the skeletal couple in relation to the passenger's time travel. What if some of them time travelled back to prehistoric times and died 'Dude, what if those skeleton's are us!?' (Wink). Jack is consumed with the coffin of his missing pop, though, and doesn't pay much attention to the probable genius that is Hurley's ramblings.
Enough reminiscing. Team Hurley-Jack is back out on their walk-about. Behold!! The lighthouse in all it's erect glory. (Shwing). Another quick B&E and the duo is inside. Atop the lighthouse rests the biggest revelation of the episode. An old skool pre-electric lighthouse homing device. Mirrors, pulleys, and a 360 point dial used to hail-in seaward ships. Hurley's arm inscription says to rotate the dial to 108 degrees to help lure in the next island visitor. As he does so, we the viewers realize that each point on the dial is marked with a lot of familiar names similar to the way names and numbers were assigned on the cave's ceiling in the previous episode. Fans will notice 2 majors names on that dial. Besides the #108 which is assigned to the crossed out candidate 'Wallace' who is the number Hurley is supposed to rotate to and presumably help manipulate to the island, there's also the name of one 'Austen'....Kate Austen #51!
Jack's not interested in those names and numbers SOoo much. What he is preoccupied by is that as Hurley yanks the lighthouse pulley system which spins the dial past it's candidate notations, the mirrors reveal images of the towns and specific structures attributed to the lives of said candidates. 42 KWON reveals what probably is Sun's parent's home, the site of her wedding to Jin. 15 FORD reveals what appears to be the
chapel whose steps one day sat a vengeful little James Ford writing his note to the real 'Sawyer'. 23 SHEPHERD....the family house in which Jack was raised!
Now here's where I wanted to jump up and punch Jack right in the TV screen. 'He's been watching us all this time...all of us?' Jack rages 'Why was he watching us??' Jack demands. And for a moment, Jack is back to
being Jack and eager to fuck shit up for everyone including us, the viewers, as we prepare to finally get a healthy dose of 'answers'. In an angry tirade, Jack destroys the mirrors. MUTHA FUCKA!!
Team Smoke Monster=2
Team Dead Jacob=2
Another tie, just like in a game of LOST Island
....a tie for them. But for me, I've just LOST.
Things I'm pondering:
- Who's this 'Wallace'? Is he really coming to the island even though his name is scratched out or was this all just a clever manipulation to make Hurley turn the dial in Jack's presence so that Jack could see what he saw? A little of both? If we're gonna seriously talk 'Wallace', my mind just thinks of the Scot William Wallace in 'BraveHeart' portrayed by Mel Gibson...and than I think of the Scot Desmond Hume. But, he's of clan 'Hume' not 'Wallace'...so there goes that theory.
- Who exactly does Claire think Smoke Monster/Locke is? She appears to see right through him as Sawyer did. Does she know he's the Smoke Monster? Does she know he shape-shifts? Fess up, bitch!...and If you get to the temple borrow Jack's comb. He's always got that shit parted like the red sea.
- Oh Kate, I didn't count you out. You have a number, it seems, as well. Maybe you're not a worthless ho-bag blowjob after all. #51....51!! Can you imagine watching LOST again from season 1 episode 1 and the number 51 has been just as prominent as all the other important numbers and we just weren't looking for it at the time? Mah Gawd. Somebody check that. I'm too exhausted.
- Jack-X realizes David is reading the childhood favorite 'Alice in Wonderland' and is in the middle of talking about 'Kitty and Snowdrop' Alice's BLACK kitten and WHITE kitten before cutting himself off. Later those kitten's are represented in the fantasy world Alice travels to as the Red and White Queens. Any thoughts?
- What's up with Jack-X's visitation rights? He sees David once every 2 months?! That's worse than weekends and holidays. Is Davey just exaggerating a bit to fuel his point that Jack-X is 'never' around for him. And just who is David's mom anyway? The 'X' version of the woman we knew to be Jack's ex-wife? Is it Juliet? Does it NOT matter?
- Here's a thought: Bodies on the island should be properly buried. Why? So that Smoke Monster doesn't get to them and use them to make meat suits for himself. Is it possible whomever those 2 skeletons in Cave Camp were, Smoke Monster has already used to embody himself in prior scenes were we thought all of the characters to be amongst the living. Could be anyBODY!
- Speaking of Davids. What about Hurley's imaginary bald friend Dave from his psycho ward days? I never really relived that episode since we are now led to believe that Hugo talks to the dead rather than has imaginary friends. Was Dave once a real living human? If so, is his body on the island somehow? Was Hurley speaking to a dead Dave or was the Dave we saw just the Smoke Monster in a Dave suit back than? Remember 'Dave' trying to prove something to Hurley by having him throw himself off of the cliff!? Sounds like that might be the handy work of a candidate killer to me. I CANNOT wait to watch all these older episodes after I finally find myself truly 'in the know'. I get giddy at the thought of actually knowing what I'm watching unfold every episode.
- It's beginning to appear as if the cave from last week wasn't Jacob's getaway at all, but the secret hideaway of the Smoke Monster himself. One might infer, from what we saw this week, that Smoke Monster has been making regular pit stops at Jacob's lighthouse memorizing the names of the candidates as Jacob marks them down on the dial...than flying back to his hole in the wall and writing those names and numbers on the ceiling to begin the slow takeover of each said candidate. After all this was Jacob's 'light' house we were in this week. Wouldn't it make sense that last week we were in Smokey's 'dark' cave.