Not a exactly a phenomenal episode in way of revelations, mysterious happenings or jaw dropping situations but this episode seemed to do a sturdy job setting the stage for the final showdown which will be happening in the final 4 episodes we have left. I did notice a couple of strange things and I will ponder them with you as we coast through another recap together.........
Claire-X enters an office building where she has a meeting with the 'Western Pacific Adoption Agency' and signs in at the front desk. The clerk instructs her to go to the 15th floor (THE numbers!!) Desmond sneaks up behind her.(creep!) (side note: I've now been referring to both Desmond-X and Desmond 1.0 as just 'Desmond' since I am convinced that he now has FULL conscious insight into his lives in both universes.) Desmond appears to be following her as he has done with other LOST island castaways in Universe-X. Apparently he's attempting to have them connect with their mirror selves from the other universe. He reads her name 'Claire Littleton' from the sign-in sheet but one might infer that he already knows full well who she is in order to have been following her all this time. (remember that it's safe to assume that his 'special' driver Minkowski-X had been asked by Desmond to fetch the flight manifest. By now he probably has and Desmond has probably been going over it with a fine toothed comb) Either way, he's acting a little too creepy for my blood. Claire-X remembers him from the plane and seems to think he's quite harmless, otherwise Claire-X is just in the habit of surrounding herself with creepy guys...putting her unborn baby in harms way. She informs him that he was correct about her baby. It IS a boy has Desmond 'predicted'. Desmond couldn't help but overhear that Claire-X is headed to an adoption agency without representation and, although he's not a lawyer, he's there to meet one who owes him a favor so Claire-X's monetary worries won't be an issue. He insists she speak with her before getting herself into an 'irreverable situation' (Ominous, very ominous, indeed!). Up on the 15th floor, the same floor for both the adoption agency and the lawyers office, Desmond and Claire-X enter the offices of Sweetzer and Verdansky ('Sweetzer' is also the name, you'll recall of the street on which Desmond meets Penny-X for coffee. Any significance?) Verdanksy is the surname of Universe-X lawyer Ilana-X. Ilana-X, the lawyer whom owes Desmond a favor, (Just what is this FAVOR? Has Desmond already 'awakened' his lawyer friend, and now she feels as though she owes him? Or is this all just a way of getting Claire-X to come with him and that this will all work out once Ilana-X realizes this is the woman she's been scouring the globe for? Am I wasting to much of my energy on this?) Illana-X arrives and is pleased to see Claire Littleton-X who she, 'coincidentally' has been looking for.
At the Jarrah home, where Nadia-X is married to Omar-X ....Sayid-X's brother, Sayid-X hurriedly packs his luggage. He's been staying there with his family since arriving in L.A.-X but, after the shootout at the restaurant which led to the deaths of underhanded Keamy-X and his men, Sayid-X will now have to flee and never return. He's shady about his reasons for leaving to Nadia-X as the doorbell rings and Sayid-X orders her to stall them. It's the L.A.P.D., specifically Det. Miles Straume who has questions for Nadia-X. As he notices partially packed luggage on the living room table, the cameras shoot to Sayid-X who makes his getaway out the back door of the house where Miles-X's partner, James-X trips him up using a garden hose and places him under arrest.
Jack-X and David, his son, arrive at the same office building where we know Desmond, Claire-X and Ilana-X to be meeting already.Jack-X takes a cellphone call from his Ex-wife, David's mother who still remains a mystery. He promises to have David home by 7pm after a look from David implies 5pm is too early. This banter, besides further teasing us about the identity of the boys mother, also seems to be geared up to show us how strong Jack-X's relationship has become with his son who wants to spend as much time with him now as possible. Jack-X is heading in for the reading of his father's Will. He informs his son that it will be a sad situation but David, who you'll recall only exists in Universe-X and not Universe 1.0, insists he'll only be sad for his father. The lawyer responsible for the will of Christian Shepherd-X is none other that Ilana-X who has a surprise for Jack-X. She introduces him to Claire Littleton-X who informs him she is mentioned in Christian-X's Will because, she too is his offspring. Jack-X's phone interrupts again, this time it's the hospital service informing him about an emergency. He tells them to 'prep him for surgery' and reschedules the reading of Will.
At the hospital, Sun-X awakens from her hospital bed to find her not-so-secret lover Jin-X asleep at her side, grasping her hand. Jin-X awakens and tells her that she will be fine and that their unborn baby will be fine as well. "It's over," he assures her in Korean. "We're all going to be OK," he adds. With all that has happened to these two, in both universes, I find myself hoping that Jin-X isn't just sugar coating the situation so that he doesn't stress Sun-X out and make her worse. Is their unborn child REALLY out of harms way?
Next, Jack-X and David arrive at the hospital, passing the Korean couples room as the do. (I laughed to myself because these two reminded me of Dr. Evil and his Mini Me) David finds it hard to believe that his grandfather was able to keep a secret of this magnitude. Jack-X insists that his father always kept a lot of things to himself. David suggests that this is his where Jack-X has gotten it from. I would suggest that this is where David has also gotten it from. Secrecy seems to be a huge Shepherd trait. David wishes his father good luck in surgery and Jack-X seems deeply grateful to have such a supportive son. David will wait for him outside. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this type of surgery take hours and hours? Nitpicking am I?) In the operating room, Jack-X is informed about the patient's stats. He was in a wheelchair before the hit and run incident and his dural sac has been 'obliterated'. They are over their heads and that is why Jack-X needed to be called in. "I got this," Jack-X insists. (I'm getting the impression that this.version of Jack is a much more successful surgeon. He's certainly more confident than his counterpart would be and Jack 1.0 only had to deal with a couple of dural sacks which he sliced open himself. This dural sac is 'obliterated' and the hospital staff was 'over their heads' until they called him.) Alpha male to the rescue. Jack-X glances down at the patient before surgery begins, a MIRROR placed in the path of both he and the patient reveals that John Locke-X is, of course the patient. "I think I know this guy," He eerily insists.
Kate and James are near the shoreline where their boat awaits them a few strokes out. James takes a moment to clue Kate in on the new plan. Hurley, Jack, Sun, Frank........yada yada yada..ditch Locke....blahzay blazhzay blah....No Claire! Claire's been drinking the Smoke-KoolAid, James insists. "Do you want HER around Aaron," James implores. Kate's not arguing and the two make their way to the boat.
As Team Smokey moves out, Jack makes some small talk with his sister Claire who's obviously having some issues with her grasp of reality. Jack seems to be feeling Claire out while also trying to get a better understanding of just what this Smoke Monster really is. Claire rubs it in again that Jack and crew left her alone on the island for 3 years and that she made due with the people that DID show they cared about her. (Boohoo, bitch. Take a shower! There's not enough water around you for one?) MIB asks Sun where Sayid is and confuses her loss of English for the silent treatment. Sun yells at him via her notepad but Smokey's got more pressing issues. He's going to make sure no one 'got left behind'. (Right) Disappearing again and leaving half of his precious 'candidates' to wander away. Jack does his bit for Sawyer, cluing his friends in on the rendezvous point with James & Kate. They hightail it out of there but not before Claire notices she's being abandoned again.
Smokey has made it back near Sayid's assassination mission and it is clear that something has changed with our 'Anakin'. Sayid insists he did the job and that Desmond is dead but, that he just needed a moment after killing an 'unarmed man'. He suggests his boss go back and check if he doesn't believe him. (There's a moment where Smokey's reaction has me wondering if Smokey is more afraid to go find Desmond alive or to find him dead. Either way I think Smoke Thing is confident about the outcome of this little test of Sayid. What he wanted that test to reveal I couldn't tell you. What exactly is going on here?!)
All the party people make it to the boat. Hurley, Jack, Frank, Sun and, oh yeah, Claire with a loaded rifle pointed right AT these traitors. Kate volunteers to alleviate the situation. She calms Claire down by insisting the only reason she came back to the island was to reunite Claire with Aaron and that she's not leaving without her. She reminds Claire that Kate was there when Aaron was born but she never should have raised him. To James' dismay, Kate announces that either Claire comes along or Kate doesn't. Claire's in but, that doesn't stop her from creating one more douche kill comment about how HE is going to be 'mad' when he finds out they're all gone. (...sure he is) At sea on the boat, Frank heads down below to get some viddles and Claire follows him. (Do dead people eat? Just wondering.) Sawyer refers to Frank as 'Chesty' and I chuckle. Jack strikes his 'looking out into enlightment' pose at the edge of the boat and James approaches him to make small talk. Worst thing he ever did. Jack starts spouting some last minute bullshit about how they came back to the island for a reason and how the island 'isn't done with them yet'. I do agree with Jack, though, that Smoke Monster seems to want them to leave so badly because 'he's afraid of what'll happen if they stay'. We've been down this road, though, before and we know how this all turns out. Maybe a Jack-xedo will fit snugger on smoke monster than that floppy baloney tit Lockesuit he's been wearing for two seasons. I like when James says 'get the hell off my damn boat' real Clint Eastwood-like (if dirty Harry drove around in a yacht.) 'Get the hell off my damn boat'...'Get the hell off my damn boat'. I could repeat that all day long. Jack apologizes for his role in getting Juliet killed and takes his 'leap of faith' which is significantly less dramatic than Sawyer's helicopter jump but reminiscent none the less. Kate demands that James turns back to fish him out, to which Clint replies "We're done going back, Kate."
Jack swims back to the beach where he is met by a surprisingly not so angry Smoke Lockester. "Sawyer took my boat, didn't he," Locke inquires knowingly. (C'mon! This was a Rebel Trap! Don'tchya think this boat trip was a trap like me? Don'tchya....Don'tchya??)
Island number 1, Jack steps out of the water as Smoke Lockester approaches. Just than, the beach is bombarded by similar missile explosions to the one Zoe ordered fired upon Team Smokey's camp earlier.....decimating Smokey's followers at the beach and sending Jack hurdling toward the camera. Jack lays motionless, ears ringing, eyes open on the beach. Smoke Locke scoops him up and carries him to a nearby tree where he props him up in a seated position against it. "Jack, you all right" he asks. "Don't worry, every thing's going to be OK," he adds in a menacing yet nurturing way. "You're WITH ME now!"
BwooHoohahaha.....(I added that menacing wizard laugh myself...scary......ain't it.)
Things I'm Pondering:
- I am being told, however, that the timeline in which both Locke-X and Sun-X are being rushed to the hospital is super-fucked-up! Sun-X was shot the DAY AFTER Oceanic Flight 815 landed in L.A. in Universe-X. John Locke-X was hit by Desmond at least A FEW DAYS, IF NOT A WEEK, after the flight landed once you take into account the day his baggage went missing, his firing from the box company, his visit to the job placement center, his days of work as a substitute teacher. Is this another continuity error or is the timeline in this universe truncated somehow?!? This stuff makes me mental! Can you figure out how these two events could piece together better given what we know?
- Last week I predicted that the 'candidates' all seem to be heading to the hospital in Universe-X. This week it seems as though 1/3 of them are making their way to the hospital while the another 1/3 make their way to the police precinct....the final 1/3 are all congregating at the law office building. I wonder if one of these buildings will be the stage for a climactic scene involving all of our 'candidates'? Either way, these scenarios make for a few giant instances of Deja Vu for our cast.
- I know the storyline about Christian Shepherd's Will has been devised to have Claire-X and Jack-X become acquainted with each other but, is it possible the contents of the Will, itself, will reveal something shocking to us!? Just what might that be? Is there another Shepherd? Snap out of it JB!
- Did anyone else notice that Jack and the Smoke Monster began their 5 minute conversation by torch fire in the DARK of night, yet returned from that very same discussion in DAYLIGHT. WHATSUPWITDAT?
- Why is Smoke Thing always so supportive of splitting the 'candidates' up at the drop of a hat when he insists they all need to leave together? Sending Sayid on a solo mission. Letting James and Kate secure their inter-island shuttle boat. Allowing Jin to be kept prisoner by team Widmore. Seems to me that if he needed them all to leave the island TOGETHER he'd make sure they were all always herded around TOGETHER like sheep. Makes me wonder if he even needs all of them to escape at all, or if he even wants to escape to begin with. Get your bitches in pocket Pimp Thing! What's really going on here? Please she some light on this my disciples. Please?
- The boat James and his crew secured was none other than 'The Elizabeth'. A boat rich in LOST history. Memory would serve you if you remember that it was the boat used by Desmond in the race to win the respect of his lover's father, Charles Widmore. The boat named after it's mysterious owner's wife Elizabeth (aka Crazy 'Libby'...yep...Hurley's Libby) and donated to him to prove his mirth. A boat repaired and kept hidden by Desmond's hatch mate Kelvin, unbeknownst to him, as Kelvin prepared to ditch Desmond and leave him to his button pushing on the solo tip. This boat's kind of like the R2-D2 or C-3P0 of Lost...always around! It garners a larger Lostpedia entry than Nikki and Paolo.
- Upon second viewing, when I saw Smokey propping Jack up against the tree at the end I couldn't help but think "OMG Jack's paralyzed!...4 episodes left and Jack's paralyzed!!" than I calmed myself down and rewound it, rewatched it and said to myself "OMG Jack's dead! Jack fuckin' dead. He died in that explosion with 4 episodes left and Smokey infected him with that sickness and now he's WITH HIM like Claire and Sayid are WITH HIM." I had to shut the show off, I don't know what I'd diagnose Jack with next. OMG...just OMG!
I have no idea what's in store for us next week. The promo seemed pretty vague, yet centered around Smoke/Locke. they made is seem Pre-tty scary, though. Can't wait for this one...whatever it holds. After this two week stretch it has become abundantly clear that I've lost my patience, lost my sense of direction and completely lost my marbles. In any rate, these are all good indications that I'm still quite.......LOST!LOST Recap Season 6 Episode12 'Everybody Loves Hugo'
click below for previous recap
click below for previous recap